Responses to frequently asked questions will be posted here, and updated as new ones come in. Newest FAQs will appear on the top of their respective section. If your question is not answered below please check or pose your question in the Eclipse Ballooning Project Proboards forum. If your question goes unanswered or if more details are needed please contact Shane.
- I purchased a new Maestro board and now the motors on the ground station don’t work, what are the Maestro settings?
- Cutdown initiated unexpectedly. Why did cutdown initiate without the cutdown command being sent?
- How do I set up the ad-hoc network so I may wirelessly connect to the pi with the GS laptop?
- How do I access the photos and videos stored on the Pi SD card?
- What could cause poor tracking of our payload during a flight or test?
- Why won’t the ground station track and why aren’t we receiving GPS coordinates?
- Where can I access the CAD files for 3D printed parts?
- How do I link RFD modems?
- How do I link Ubiquiti modems?
- What is a good starting point for creating a harness for the payloads built during the workshops?
- What software updates should May workshop teams be aware of?
- Iridium Remote Configuration Application Development Tool
- What kind of streaming range cam my team expect from the video system?
- What if our team broke/lost an important component of our system?
- Where can I get the .STL files for 3D printed components?
- How do I live stream my video on the internet?
- What is the password to the ground station laptop? GSLaptop
- How do I create a backup/new RFD or Ubiquiti SD card?
General Project FAQs
- What is the new tracking website address? Contact Shane or see EAR 15 email
- Where can I listen to previous eclipse technical telecoms?
- Where can I find the the Project Milestones Guide?
- Do I need to contact Montana Space Grant if I am going to use my tracking payload? What about testing cutdown?
- How does a student join the Eclipse Ballooning Project Student Communications Google Group?
- How do I use the supplied balloon filling equipment and how much helium should I use?
- How do I import tracking information from previous flights into Google Earth?
- Are there any ITAR/EAR aspects to the Eclipse Ballooning Project that teams need to be aware of?
- What type of thermal insulation is recommended? – Check out McMaster-Carr low temperature insulation. Depending on how much excess heat the experiment produces either the 1/4″ or 1/2” Low-Temperature Polyethylene Foam Rubber Insulation should work well. This insulation is relatively light and holds up very well to dry ice temperatures while preventing condensation during any change in temperature.
- What configuration should tracking, still image and video payloads be attached the flight string?
- How should I pick my ground station location and how do I set up the ground station downrange? – Keep in mind the 25 mile range is a line of site distance
- How much helium am I allowed to transport and what are the regulations?
- I am transporting more than 440 lbs worth of helium tanks, how do I create shipping papers? – See Transportation of Helium document for information on filling out the shipping paper. Click here for editable version. Also see the Emergency Response Guide (ERG 2016) safety information (emergency response and potential hazards) for helium: Helium Emergency Guide ERG 2016
- Who can I contact about flight predictions, good possible launch and landing locations and housing in my desired launch state, and connections to ground logistics?
- How do I choose a launch site?
- Do I need to travel to my launch site for a practice launch?